Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Introducing Recursivity



Welcome to Recursivity!

This blog is an outlet for my thoughts about mathematics, science, politics, music, religion, and other subjects. I hope you'll want to visit again and again and again and again and...

I am a professor of computer science at the University of Waterloo. My research interests include combinatorics on words, finite automata, number theory, algebra, formal languages, history of mathematics and computer science, ethical use of computers, and pseudoscience and its practitioners. In my spare time, I like to read, hike, play with my kids, play the guitar, play chess, write angry letters to the editor, watch movies, listen to NPR, and go hunting for interesting rocks and minerals. But not all at the same time.

I also blog occasionally at The Panda's Thumb, a pro-science blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited. Big PT / Pharyngula fan. And D*mbski makes my skin itch.

Rich

Anonymous said...

Finally a computer science blog. I have already bookmarked your page and I will be checking in regularly. I have greatly appreciated the scientific and scholastic community offering a conduit by which the general internet community can celebrate the freedom of speech and the open discussion of important scientific and anti-science issues. I share many of your interests Professor Shallit, studied comp sci in college, work as a software programmer (one of many hats), and I have been following PT for almost a year now. Best of Luck.

James Taylor

Dave said...

Love it! I find your comments on religious nonsense especially interesting (and humorous).

David Hamm

Rick Potvin said...

"But not at the same time"-- that was funny. I attended UW in 76-77-- Fac of science-- but overloaded on science courses, couldn't keep up and got the boot-- transferred to Mac.

Still interested in math, physics, chemistry-- more from philosophical and historical perspective now. Don't know why they made me do so many integrations in first year calculaus. Couldn't memorize all the formulas. Talk about redundant!

I got the point of an integration-- and the formulas were listed-- why memorize them? I'd like to go back and review the point of that some time.