Saturday, October 24, 2009

Very Funny Story By Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker writer and author of Blink and The Tipping Point recounts a very funny story about a wedding song gone completely wrong in an episode of "The Moth Radio Hour".

To listen, go here, and click on the arrow that appears immediately under "The Moth Radio Hour 4". The story starts at 35:10 -- but the other two stories are worth listening to, also.

A more direct link is here, but I don't guarantee it will work.

4 comments:

andrew said...

Oh, that's hilarious and heartbreaking. I feel far worse for Craig than Malcolm, however.

Alan Adamson said...

That was hilarious? That was awful - the self-absorption was sickening, and the justification by talking about defence contractors made it even worse.
I am worried about people who find that sort of cruelty funny. And Gladwell's supposed self-deprecation is so revolting.

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Alan:

But that's the point: when I listen to it, I'm amazed at the situation, and cringing, at the same time. Somehow that makes it even funnier.

Bright Light said...

I listened to this for a second time and found it to be very funny even though I knew what was going to be said. I thought about the issue of honesty, that is, what we "want" to say and what we "actually" say at those times when our friends are going through their rights of passage, such as a choice of a "life" partner. AND, Mr. Gladwell's books are poignant in that way also.