Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Be it Ever So Humble" - a short story by Louise Shallit

Here's a short story entitled "Be it Ever So Humble" that appeared in Story magazine, Vol. 27, No. 115 (September-October 1945) by my mother, Louise Lee Outlaw. I think this may have been the first short story she published in a national magazine, although she had been writing for newspapers since 1938. Although it doesn't display her at the height of her powers, there are some very nice lines.

As an interesting footnote, another story in the same issue was written by Joseph Heller, who, of course, later became famous as the author of Catch-22.

4 comments:

LoneStarLibrarian said...

I for one think this is a small masterpiece. The author is my Aunt Louise, so maybe I am biased. Thanks for posting, Jeff!

Frank Abbing said...

I agree, a masterpiece. and she's not my aunt.

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Well, thanks! She would have been very pleased to hear both your praise.

Bayesian Bouffant, FCD said...

Interesting that it is written from the view of a male character, and yet the writing is clearly that of a female; note the importance placed on colours, textures and fabrics, for instance.