Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Pleasures of Editing a Journal


The following exchange is fictional, but not by much. It is based on several different experiences I've had as editor of the Journal of Integer Sequences.

From Joe Smith:

Here is my submission, entitled "1 + 1 = 2", to the Journal of Integer Sequences. It gives a simple, new, and cute proof of this famous theorem which I know you will want to publish.

My response:

I'm sorry, this is simply too trivial to publish in the Journal.

Smith's response:

How disgraceful that an honest person seeking to publish their work in a forum belonging to an elite that think they hold the absolute truth, and deliver their decision based on an incredibly deprecatory pseudo review, are frustrated by your dishonest response!

I will give you one week to accept this paper. If not, I will destroy the reputation of the Journal.

My response:

I'm sorry, the decision stands.

Smith's response:

Can you please suggest another journal where I can publish my result?

3 comments:

Robert Mercas said...

:)) Funny

Gingerbaker said...

"Can you please suggest another journal where I can publish my result? "

Answer: "No, but I can think of another journal who will not publish your article".

(Which makes two journals)

Unknown said...

Say, anyone know anything about this "Antarctica Journal of Mathematics"

www.domainsmoon.com/ajm.html

?
The flashing circus lights strongly suggest this journal has a high impact, like after Sylvester gets hit on the head with a frying pan by Tweetie Bird.

I saw no such flashing lights at the "Annals of Mathematics" from the Institute for Advanced Study.
Come on, IAS! Get with the times!