Monday, October 24, 2016

Steve Goodman Sings About the Cubs


When I lived in Chicago, I often went to folk clubs on the North Side (now mostly gone) -- Holstein's, for example. There I got to hear some of my favorite folksingers, including Steve Goodman and Michael Peter Smith. Once I even got to sit next to Steve at the bar and have a chat with him.

Here are Steve's two famous songs about the Cubs. He tried to get "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" accepted as the Cubs official song, but for obvious reasons, it was not taken. So then he wrote "Go Cubs Go", which eventually became the unofficial Cubs anthem, played after every win.

Steve Goodman died of cancer in 1984. We miss you, Steve.

1 comment:

Jim Ebsary said...

I liked Goodman's music. I found out about him from his work with John Prine. Unfortunately I didn't find out about him until many years after his death.