Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Stephen Woodworth Refuses to Answer

Stephen Woodworth is a Conservative MP from Kitchener Centre, the Canadian riding (Americans would call it a "precinct") where I live. Although we disagree politically on many issues, I had always been impressed with his integrity and seriousness.

Recently he's become famous for trying to reignite a debate about abortion in the Canadian Parliament, by introducing Motion 312.

In a recent press release, Woodworth claims he "hopes to answer even more questions" about this proposal. He says, "I am more than willing to answer any questions Canadians may have".

Yet he refuses to answer my question, which I have asked twice: were abortion outlawed again in Canada, what should be the proper legal penalty for a woman who has an abortion?

He replied, saying it was premature to ask such a question. That's just avoiding the issue.

This is, I'm afraid, typical of those who advocate stricter controls on abortion.

9 comments:

cody said...

How have they managed to so completely avoid that question in the mainstream discussion? It's so simple and obvious, yet I don't recall ever hearing it discussed by either side. Brilliance!

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Too bad we don't have any local reporters courageous enough to ask.

Melville said...

One possible answer is: "No penalty for the woman. The penalty is for the one who performs the procedure." (That's not necessarily my own answer; the idea just came to my mind.)

Jeffrey Shallit said...

So, Melville, you think someone who is an accomplish to a murder should face no penalty?

Reginald Selkirk said...

He says, "I am more than willing to answer any questions Canadians may have". Yet he refuses to answer my question...

Well there you go. You are a U.S. citizen, not a Canadian.

Melville said...

Again, speaking rhetorically: Maybe just let the fee the accomplish paid to her doctor be her penalty.

Melville said...

Oh wait. I never meant to acquiesce that abortion is to be equated with murder.

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Melville, with that perspicacity and profound insight, I bet Stephen Woodworth would be really happy to have you as an intern in his office. I suggest you call him now.

Melville said...

You made the suggestion that abortion, in the eyes of those against it, is necessarily murder. I was just pointing out that that's not always the case.