Friday, October 19, 2012

Sydney River is the Place to Live

Clearly, Sydney River, Nova Scotia, is the place to live! Especially if you like moose:

Mary Ellen Marsh of Sydney River said she thought someone was at her door and then realized it was a moose. She said the moose was in the neighbourhood for about an hour, going from yard to yard and down the street.

The animal visited Sydney River Elementary, where she made an impression on students.

Mikki Armishaw, the principal, said, “The children just went out of their minds.”

2 comments:

Phil said...

When I was a kid I grew up in Northbay. My family would frequently go for walks in the bush and my Dad would bring along a large wooden stick. As we walked through the woods he would hit the wood against the trees to make noise with the hopes of letting any local bears know we are coming. I was told this was so that we didn't sneak up on the bears and get between a mother and her cubs. Basically bears are more scared of you then you are of them.

Bears used to terrify me, that is, until my parents explained to me that the bears are not the most dangerous animal in the woods, the moose is! The forests of Canada are not safe during moose mating season. Look out!

Made me feel for the poor teachers at the school. A bunch of kids that probably all want to pet the moose and are completely ignorant of the danger (just a large horse right?) Then a bunch of teachers that know exactly how dangerous it actually is, but are unable to relate that fact to the kids.

Bayesian Bouffant, FCD said...

"She said the moose was in the neighbourhood for about an hour, going from yard to yard and down the street."

Sounds like a little Halloween trick-or-treating.